About Your School Board
To pre-register to speak at a Board of Education business meeting or public hearing, please complete a brief Sign-up Form.
To see streaming video of a live Board of Education meeting or see previous BOE meetings on YouTube, the links are BELOW.
FY16 Budget Approved
The Board of Education approved the FY2016 budget at its June 2 business meeting. The budget document can be downloaded as a 40 page PDF.
What do Board Members do?
- Establish a vision for the community’s schools and participate in strategic planning.
- Develop effective policies and review them periodically.
- Provide accountability to the community on student achievement.
- Advocate for the needs of all students at the local, state, and national levels.
- Attend several meetings per month (20+hours per week).
- Hire Superintendent and negotiate contract.
- Evaluate the Superintendent annually.
- Conduct student and employee appeals.
- Approve or reject program proposals.
- Develop, approve, and manage budget.
To find out more about the School Board or to get involved with School Board Service download a School Board Service brochure.
The Elected Board of Education is made up of seven elected members
Members serve four-year terms.
Student Representative to the Board
The Board of Education of Washington County has a Student Representative to the Board who is elected by the membership of the Association of Student Councils for a one-year term. The representative is invited to attend all public sessions of the Board of Education and student opinions on topics of discussion are recorded in the official minutes of the Board.
Email Board Members
- To contact all Board members and the office of the superintendent, with one email, click HERE. Several WCPS staff members will also be copied on the email.
- See all Board Members
School Board Business Meetings
Board Business Meetings are held twice-monthly on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at the Center for Education Services, 10435 Downsville Pike, Hagerstown. The public is invited and encouraged to participate in the meetings that are tentatively scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month and 6 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month, lasting from 2 to 3 hours in length.
Meeting times may vary, so check the Board Meeting Schedule of the website for the latest information. The meetings are also televised live on Antietam Cable Channel 99 and streamed live online.
If you wish to provide comments during the citizen participation portion of a Board of Education meeting or public hearing, please complete the following form and submit:
Watch and Listen to Board Meetings Online
All past Board of Education meetings are now available on the WCPS YouTube Channel. The channel was established in order to provide all visitors an opportunity to view Board meeting videos without technical restrictions or the need for additional application downloads, as in the case of Apple users.
Click on the window below to see a live feed when a BOE meeting is in progress.Live streaming video by Ustream
BoardDocs is a means for WCPS stakeholders to access meeting agendas, minutes, policies & procedures and other information about the business of Washington County Public Schools.
The Washington County Board of Education is always looking for interested citizens to fill vacancies on advisory committees. For additional information about the committees that advise the Board: