Citizen's Advisory Council
The Citizen's Advisory Council (CAC) is a parent involvement group mandated and approved by the Washington County Board of Education. It's purpose is to involve the public in the promotion of the highest feasible standards of educational excellence in each school.
Meetings are typically held on a monthly schedule at the Board of Education Auditorium, 820 Commonwealth Avenue, Hagerstown, MD, featuring a variety of guest speakers. When the CAC schedule for 2009-2010 is developed, you'll be able to visit the Meetings page to find out more.
This county council is comprised of representative parents, businesspersons, and community leaders who are interested in reviewing and making recommendations on issues in the public schools. The CAC has no more then 15 members, serves as an advocate for students, and deals with issues in the school community. Each school has a Citizen's Advisory Committee. These committees address school issues and make recommendations to the County Citizen's Advisory Council, which in turn makes recommendations to the board. CAC's are site based. They provide support and serve in an advisory capacity. They do not provide programs in the school and they do not participate in fundraising.
The Council Objectives
- Provide ongoing support for the school citizens advisory committees.
- Coordinate the study of school system issues as requested by the Board.
- Make recommendations for school system improvements to the Board.
- Participate in school system comprehensive planning as requested by the Board.
- Foster understanding of Board policies and initiatives within the general public.
- Serve as a body to react to educational proposals being developed.
- Encourage participation in school affairs by the citizens of Washington County.
- Be available to assist the Board in the promotion of program priorities to the school citizens advisory committees and to the general public.
General Information and Responsibilities of County CAC Members
- Members serve on the committee and are expected to participate at meetings and attend according to Board Policy.
- Personnel or specific student issues are not appropriate items for discussion
- Each member serves as a liaison to a group of schools. The Council member is expected to visit each school if possible, have monthly communication with the CAC chair and provide a monthly report from each CAC.
If you would like to be considered for CAC membership, please download and complete the Advisory Committee Application and submit the completed form to:
Dr. Michael Markoe
Associate Superintendent for School Improvement & Innovation
Washington County Board of Education
Hagerstown, MD 21741
Download the CAC School Report Form - Word format or PDF format
Note: PDF files require Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer
Click Here to download Acrobat Reader
PTA and CAC are separate entities. Meetings or committees should not be merged for official functions.
Method of Communication Between School CAC and County CAC
Each member of the county Citizen's Advisory Council is assigned several schools. The council member is expected to obtain a report from each school to share at monthly meeting. In addition it is recommended that the county council member attend a meeting at each assigned school during the year.
The school and county CAC process is an important link for communication between schools and the elected Board. Your involvement is appreciated. We have attached a copy of the county policy, a list of identified topics for review and discussion and also a schedule of planned meetings of the County CAC for your convenience.
Citizen's Advisory Council
820 Commonwealth Ave. Hagerstown, MD 21741