Skip Navigation

Special Permission Applications To Be Accepted through April 1, 2011

HAGERSTOWN, MD (January 27, 2011) – Special permission applications will be accepted for the Washington County Public Schools (WCPS) 2011-2012 school year from February 1 through April 1, 2011, according to Board of Education (BOE) Regulation JC-R.  Under the regulation, a student may be approved to attend a school outside his or her attendance area, under specific and limited circumstances.  Applications are available at every WCPS school, and should be submitted to the school where enrollment is being requested.  The principal of the school receiving the application will render a recommendation by May 30, 2011. The principal will then forward the special permission application, including his/her recommendation, to the Supervisor of Student Services.

WCPS will strictly adhere to the policy’s established time frame for submission of special permission applications.  Applications received after April 1 will not be accepted unless a student’s circumstances have changed after the established time frame. Adherence to the time frame outlined in the policy is critical to ensure that schools are appropriately staffed and that class sizes are maintained at reasonable levels. Special permission applications are no longer required for students attending academies and magnet school programs.

As listed on the back of the special permission form, the reasons special permission may be granted include, child care; relocation within Washington County; a change of school boundaries (if the student is within one year of completion of elementary or middle school, or within two years of high school completion); the need for a specific academic or special program or course, which is not available in the home school attendance area; or, a significant hardship is deemed to exist by the principal or the Supervisor of Student Services.  When special permission is granted, transportation is the responsibility of the parent or guardian.

For more information, contact the Office of Student Services at 301-766-2960.

Information for...

Site Information

Related Information