Office of School Psychologists
Office of School Psychologists: 301-766-8220
SUPERVISOR OF SPECIAL EDUCATION FOR CASE MANAGEMENT & COMPLIANCE
Who is a School Psychologist?
- School psychologists help children and youth (Birth through 21 years age of age) succeed academically, socially, behaviorally, and emotionally.
- We collaborate with educators, parents, and other professionals to create safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments that strengthen connections between home, school, and the community for all students.
- Our goal is to find the best solution for each child and situation.
- We value early intervention and prevention.
- School psychologists are highly trained in both psychology and education.
- Training is focused on child development, learning, behavior, motivation, educational and mental health interventions, curriculum and instruction, assessment of educational disabilities, consultation, collaboration, school based problem solving teams, counseling (individual and group) and school law.
- School psychologists must be certified / licensed in the state they work.
What Do School Psychologists Do?
School Psychologists Work With Students to:
- Provide counseling, instruction, and mentoring for those struggling with social, emotional, and behavioral problems
- Increase achievement by assessing barriers to learning and determining the best instructional strategies to improve learning
- Promote wellness and resilience by reinforcing communication and social skills, problem solving, anger management, self-regulation, self-determination, and optimism
- Enhance understanding and acceptance of diverse cultures and backgrounds
School Psychologists Work With Students and Their Families to:
- Identify and address learning and behavior problems that interfere with school success
- Evaluate eligibility for special education services (within a multidisciplinary team)
- Support students' social, emotional, and behavioral health
- Teach parenting skills and enhance home–school collaboration
- Make referrals and help coordinate community support services
School Psychologists Work With Teachers to:
- Identify and resolve academic barriers to learning
- Design and implement student progress monitoring systems
- Design and implement academic and behavioral interventions
- Support effective individualized instruction
- Create positive classroom environments
- Motivate all students to engage in learning
School Psychologists Work With Administrators to:
- Collect and analyze data related to school improvement, student outcomes, and accountability requirements
- Implement school-wide prevention programs that help maintain positive school climates conducive to learning
- Promote school policies and practices that ensure the safety of all students by reducing school violence, bullying, and harassment
- Respond to crises by providing leadership, direct services, and coordination with needed community services
- Design, implement, and garner support for comprehensive school mental health programming
School Psychologists Work With Community Providers to:
- Coordinate the delivery of services to students and their families in and outside of school
Source: National Association for School Psychologists website – www.nasponline.org
|Psychologist||Phone||Office Location||Schools Served|
301-766-8999, ext. 73616
|Marshall Street School||Birth-5 Program|
Potomac Heights Elementary
Head Start sites
|SHANNON CASSIDY ||301-766-8999, ext. 76607||Smithsburg Middle||Cascade Elementary|
Old Forge Elementary
|NICOLE CLARK ||301-766-6071||Marshall Street School||Marshall Street School|
Job Development Program
Salem Avenue Elementary
Western Heights Middle
Winter Street Elementary
|SHARON CONLEY||301-766-8999, ext. 76001||Marshall Street School||Eastern Elementary|
Ruth Ann Monroe Primary
|LORI FRITTS||301-766-8582, ext. 68582||Fountaindale Elementary||Fountaindale Elementary|
North Hagerstown High
|HARDY JOHNSON||301-766-8222, ext. 75136|
|Boonsboro High||Boonsboro Elementary|
Pleasant Valley Elementary
|SHARON KEPLINGER||301-766-8432, ext. 78124||Williamsport High||Fountain Rock Elementary|
|RANDY McKANN||301-766-8999, ext. 76005||Marshall Street School||Greenbrier Elementary|
Rockland Woods Elementary
Out of county assessments
Washington County Technical High
|JIM O'BRIEN||301-766-8999, ext. 76006||Marshall Street School||Hancock Elementary|
|SALLY SCHMIDT||301-766-8999, ext. 78033||South Hagerstown High||E. Russell Hicks Middle|
South Hagerstown High
|JENNIFER WAGER ||301-766-8999, ext. 76011||Marshall Street School||Clear Spring Elementary|
Clear Spring Middle
Clear Spring High
|SHAUNA YOCKEL||301-766-8227, ext. 68227||Marshall Street School|
Emma K. Doub Elementary