Kindergarten & Pre-Kindergarten Registration
For registration, it is recommended that you contact your child's school in advance so that staff can prepare materials for you and make your visit an efficient one.
Registration dates have been established for incoming kindergarten students to Washington County Public Schools (WCPS) for the 2015-2016 school year. Children who turn five years old on or before September 1, 2015, must be enrolled in kindergarten, according to the State of Maryland. Parents and guardians may register eligible children for kindergarten at any time, but the following dates have been designated as registration days in all elementary schools so that school staff will be prepared to assist parents and guardians with all necessary steps for registration:
- March 23
- April 27
- May 18
- June 15
The parent/legal guardian must register at the school in the district where he or she lives. The following documents are required when registering a child for kindergarten:
- Birth certificate
- Immunization records
- Health inventory (completed by child’s doctor within a nine-month period before child enters school or within a six-month period after entering school)
- Proof of residency (mortgage/rental agreement, electric or water bill that is current within last three months prior to registration). Telephone bills or driver’s licenses will not be accepted.
To be eligible to apply for pre-kindergarten, a child must be four years old on or before September 1. The family must live in Washington County and meet income eligibility criteria. All income and age eligible children who apply will be given priority. Applications are available for the 2015-2016 school year at all elementary schools and on the WCPS website: 2015-2016 Pre-Kindergarten Application (2 page PDF).
Here are the pre-kindergarten guidelines:
- A child must be four years old on or before September 1 of the current school year.
- Families must live in Washington County.
- All income-eligible and age-eligible children who apply must be enrolled first. The WIC Income Eligibility Guidelines can be seen HERE.
- Applications must be submitted to the Early Childhood Enrollment Office at the Washington County Public Schools' Central Office, 10435 Downsville Pike, Hagerstown, MD 21740.
- For information regarding pre-kindergarten, download the Pre-Kindergarten Parent Guide (2 page PDF), or call the Early Childhood Enrollment Office at 301-766-2955.
Please consider downloading the following documents:
Please note changes in school schedules in relation to inclement weather situations. When a two-hour delay is called, there will be no a.m. or p.m. pre-kindergarten. If school is dismissed two hours early, the a.m. pre-kindergarten students will stay until dismissal and ride the bus home with the other students. There will be no p.m. pre-kindergarten in the case of an early dismissal.