Facilities Planning & Development
Director of Facilities Planning & Development
10435 Downsville Pike
Hagerstown, MD 21740
301-766-2860; Fax: 301-766-2867
Important Document Downloads
The Department of Facilities Planning and Development is responsible for the planning of current and future facilities needs, and the development and construction of facilities that provide world class learning environments for the students of Washington County.
The Department is responsible for the assessment of near and long term school construction needs, and for the preparation of a program of school construction and capital renovations which address those needs. In performing this function, the department relies on the expertise of its staff of educational professionals and engineers as well as other members of the WCPS administration. Coordination with outside agencies at the state and local level is also keyed to the success of this Department.
Ongoing responsibilities include:
- Creating short and long term enrollment projections that enable timely forecasting of Instructional, Facilities and Operational needs.
- Updating annually to the 10-year Educational Facilities Master Plan.
- Coordinating of the annual preparation of the six-year Capital Improvement Program.
- Maintaining and coordinating the boundary adjustment process.
- Coordinating land requisition for future school sites.
- Coordinating the preparation of Educational Specifications with Instructional Staff.
- Reviewing residential development plans as required by county and municipal jurisdictions.
Development and Construction
The Department provides the administration of the design and construction of new schools, and additions and renovations to existing schools, in accordance with approved Educational Specifications. In addition, this Department supervises other minor facility modifications including, the installation and relocation of portable classrooms, and maintains real property and critical facility data.
The department is responsible for:
- Implementing of the Capital Improvement Program.
- Providing on-site Project Management and inspection staff of professionals and engineers.
- Helping to provide building evaluation and assessment to coordinate the planning of future construction in preparation for the annual Education Facilities Master Plan.
- Coordinating with local and state authorities to ensure successful projects.
It is our mission to ensure that all public school facilities are appropriately planned and constructed to ensure the best education of our students and the best value to the community.
Senior Project & Planning Supervisor
Facilities and Enrollment Advisory Committee (FEAC)
Guideline for Developer-Funded School Construction Projects